Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dog Tells Owner She Has Breast Cancer



Look at the expression on the dog's face. He's like, Yeah that's right bitches. I smell cancer. Tell all yo' homies bout me.

From the article:

When her normally boisterous dog Max began moping around the house, Maureen Burns wondered if he was coming down with something.
But it turned out she was the one who was sick - and she believes the nine-year-old collie cross was deliberately acting out of character to alert her.
After Max began sniffing Mrs Burns's breath and then gently nudging her right breast, the 64-year-old examined herself and discovered a small lump in the same breast.

Mrs Burns said: 'When the nurse told me I had breast cancer my first response was, 'I know, my dog told me!'. I expected her to laugh but instead she told me she had heard of similar cases.
'Max is usually such an excitable, loving animal but he became very sad and had stopped doing all the things he used to - such as sharing our bed or jumping on my lap for cuddles. Instead he would touch my breast and back off unhappily.'

She said she finally realised there was something wrong last May when Max watched as she examined herself in the mirror.

'As I felt it I just happened to look over at Max, who was lying on my bed. Our eyes met and I just remember he looked so sad.
'I knew in that instant that something was badly wrong.'

She had an operation to remove the cancer, and is now in remission. When she got home after the operation, her dog was happy and jumping around like a puppy. Crazy, huh? Scientists believe dogs might be able to be trained to sniff out cancer; with their highly sensitive sense of smell.

Full article here. Originally peeped at Jezebel.

9 jewels of thought:

Mrs. Mary Mack said...

*sighs* I heard about this and frankly I'm a bit weirded out by the fact that she was letting her dog "nudge" her breast! So...maybe Sinatra acts out because he knows I'm pregnant?! Maybe he'll be a lot calmer after the baby's out?! I need you to do more research on this. LOL

Get Togetha said...

I *heart* dogs...Awwwwww.

ChocolateOrchid said...

I heard about this. It's not surprising to me that a dog (or any animal) would be able to detect an illness. After all, their senses are so much more keen than ours.

InnyVinny said...

I've heard about cancer sniffing dogs. Cool story.

Little Miss Knobody said...

Awwww! Dogs are the best!

Chanel said...

LOL that dog looks hardcore enough to sniff out ANYTHING

Gem said...

MMM: Research pending on pregnancy, lol. You know you would want Sinatra to tell you if you had breast cancer though!

GT: I hugged my poodle because of this. I'm lying, I hug him for no reason.

CO: Yeah, their sense of smell is extremely sharp.

Alicia: You make them sound like cocaine sniffers, lol.

LMK: Right?!

Chanel: LMAO I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed his expression.

Lina said...

Not only are dogs known for their keen sense of smell, but sometimes when dogs and their owners are emotionally connected, they can sense and relay illness, and emotions.

S Jones Aka Shirley said...

wow thats really cool..

Blog Widget by LinkWithin